Recent Posts

Friday, January 15, 2010

Smelly Stickers for you!!

Ahh, the beloved smelly sticker,  the aroma of good work, the little treat at the top of your paper that told everyone you had the best grade in class (never mind that everyone else got one too). I loved them. Some of my favorites were, "You're appealing!", "Grape Stuff!" and "Poppin Good".







My sister liked some of the weirder ones, like the one that smelled like gasoline and her all time stinky favorite, spray of skunk! (And yes, it really did smell like skunk).



 Have you ever wondered what happened to the scratch and sniff craze? Well, I decided to do a little web search. It turns out that in the mid-80's, manufacturers changed the paper they made those stickers on, using glossy paper instead of the old matte stuff. As a result of this, the stickers didn't hold the fragrance as well, and so died a part of our childhood. Today, original packaged vintage stickers can go for a couple hundred dollars on Ebay! *shakes head* If only I had kept all of those old spelling tests.


What does this have to do with writing, you say? Well, nothing really, but as I was doing some critiques on SYW today I realized just how much I enjoy it. I'm starting to think that I should have been an English teacher instead of a scientist, I like it so much (or maybe I just enjoy it when people listen to me). In either case, if I had been a teacher, I'd be the kind to give my students smelly stickers.

I guess that I'd have to have some system for grading if I were to give out smelly stickers. Let's see. One for good showing versus telling. One for voice and one for having a good hook. Of course, knowing me, I'd give everyone a sticker just for having the guts to post, and I'd be running out of stickers quite frequently! So if I've given you a critique lately, pretend that I've put a big fat smelly sticker on your paper, maybe "Berry Good", "Dino-mite" or "Stick to it". You choose!





5 comments:

bclement412 said...

Oh god I love smelly stickers lol. And smelly markers. :)

Alissa Grosso said...

I used to be a sticker collector as a kid. Of course I ripped open all those packages and stuck my stickers in sticker albums. Had I simply saved those unopened packages, I would have some extra cash right now!

I do remember the new scratch and sniffs on the shiny paper, because some of my favorites were perfume scented and had different pictures of fancy perfume bottles.

Angie said...

I had tons of sticker albums too, though I never saw the fancy perfume ones. My sister and I used to save our money, each get one kind and then split them in half. But like I said, she really liked the stinky ones so it wasn't much of a bargain on my part. It'd be kind of fun to start collecting them again.

Katie Ashley said...

OMG! I haven't thought of scratch and sniff stickers in FOREVER! But I so loved them growing up. Too awesome!

Amna said...

I love smelly stickers!

They rock!

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails