Recent Posts

Monday, August 16, 2010

Meter Monday - almost there!!

Hi friends! Just checking in with everyone. I didn't get a whole lot done this week. Re-read through my entire manuscript, highlighting things that I thought needed improvement. Then on Friday I started going though it once more and making those changes. I'm about a 1/3 of the way done now and I'm anticipating having this thing beta ready by Friday. Then its VACATION!!! Yes, I'm going to take 2-3 weeks off and not think about Nikki's Wish at all. I have a couple beta reads lined up and a whole pile of books to read.

On my list:
1.The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson. I'm actually half way through this and loving it
.


2.The Sky Always Hears Me and the Hills Don't Mind by Kristin Conn Mills


3.Harmonic Feedback by Tara Kelly


4.The Lighter Side of Light and Death by c.k. Kelly Martin. 

5.If I Stay by Gayle Forman


6.Just Listen by Sarah Dessen


7.Stolen by Lucy Christopher


8.and last by definitely not least MOCKINGJAY!! by Suzanne Collins. Yes, I pre-ordered, and yes everything else will probably get pushed aside when it arrives in my mailbox.


8.and last by definitely not least MOCKINGJAY!! by Suzanne Collins. Yes, I pre-ordered, and yes, everything else will probably get pushed aside when it arrives.

I think that should be plenty of reading to tide me over for two weeks, don't you? Since I'm so busy with revisions, I probably won't post a teaser tomorrow. Instead I'm going to give you another before and after snippet from my recent revisions. The new version is again a bit longer, but I think that it's more descriptive and tells something about Nikki's dad that the other version doesn't.

Old:

The walk down to the lake was pleasant. The birds chirped their mating songs while a frog croaked nearby. The wind chimes that hung from a nearby tree tinkled an accompaniment. Dad had already put out the dock and his canoe was tied up nearby. He had sold the large boat shortly after Shani’s funeral; I couldn’t have thanked him enough.

New:

Nature beckoned to me as I walked down to the lake - birds chirped, frogs croaked, even the wind chimes that hung from a nearby tree tinkled an accompaniment. The air was moist and the sun kissed the grass as if drinking up its dew.

But further along by the water’s edge, Dad’s canoe was turned on its belly in a perpetual dead man’s float. Seeing it made my secret even harder to contain. I was grateful that Dad had sold the large boat after Shani’s funeral; but his canoe was something that I wanted to see brought back to life.

And thanks to Sam, I would.

So now my big question - how do you celebrate when you're done with revisions? I know I'm not completely done, but this round has been a long time in the making, and I was sort of thinking about including everyone in my celebration. Sooo... as soon as I'm done I'll be doing my first blog giveaway! So be sure to check back at the end of the week - hopefully not any later than that-  to see how you can enter.

Cheers!
Angie

7 comments:

Unknown said...

You have an awesome book selection going on!!!! I think I'm missing some of these on my TBR list so consider them now added!!!

Good luck with revisions, I normally follow with a glass of wine or snuggle with my honey after I've completed them, they are wearing so it's nice to relax! I look forward to your celebration/giveaway!!! I love to snag awesome things!!!

Joann Swanson said...

Great selections! I LOVED The Sky Is Everywhere and have also read If I Stay (another hard one to put down). Looking forward to Mockingjay myself now that I'm almost caught up with the first two! Fantastic job on the revisions. I celebrate by losing myself in a new wip. Nothing makes me happier than a fresh idea (well, ok, my cats and hubby make me pretty happy too!).

Nomes said...

your revisions are awesome. it will be so good to have it back out with BETA's :)

your book line-up is impressive too :) I havent read #3 or #4, but they are hovering on my to-read list :)

also, apart from mockingjay, they're all pretty much contemp! (well, if i stay has a slightly paranormal premise...)

do you have the cover of the sky is everywhere that is pictured? i love that cover :)

Angie said...

Thanks for the comments guys! I would like to lose myself in a new WIP too (or wine for that matter) but I feel like I want to catch up on my reading. My goal for the year is 100 books and I'm about half way there with only 4 months left, so I have to play catch up. :)

Nomes- yes, I do have that cover. It startled me when I got it because the cover is a very strange texture and has a strap to hold it closed. Don't know if they're all like that?? And yeah, mostly all contemp. I'm starting to think that's going to be a good combination, writing paranormal and reading a lot of contemporary. I'm also sort of thinking about changing the direction of my Bettina plot so that it's more contemporary. We'll see how that goes.

Melanie said...

Holy cow, girl. You are a motivated reader. I only hope I can finish reading The LIghtening Thief in the time you read all those. I wish I could dedicate that much time to reading. I'm not an incredibly fast reader so the combination of no time and slow reading equals 1 book every two weeks. I hate it. I hope when I finish my first draft, I can dedicate some more time to reading!

Fiona said...

Yay for writing progress! I think two weeks to relax and read books is a brilliant way to celebrate the end of a revision sweep, especially such great books.

Anonymous said...

I'm totally waiting for Friday when I get to BETA for you. So exciting!

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails