Giving your characters flaws is a good thing. It makes them more into people than fictional players in our imaginations, but some of us go too far. When trying to build a character that people (girls) will fall in love with, keep these real life guy things confined to real life.
* these are only my opinion, YMMV.
1. Nose picking or nose hair picking.
2. Al bundy impression - I don't care how cold he says his hand is, they make pockets for a reason.
3. Turning your guy into a poster boy for feminism - e.g. making him by tampons. seen it!
4. Showing him pulling the hoody up on his little buddy - we don't need it to be that realistic. seen it in adult lit
5. wiping his mouth with the bottom of his t-shirt
6. buying your main character flowers and bragging about what a good deal he got
7. spitting anywhere *shivers*
8. drinking directly out of the milk/orange juice carton seen it!
9. letting your guy 'pick' from your mc's plate without asking seen it!
10. obnoxious chomping on chips or other snack food seen it!
11. cussing in front of little kids or senior citizens
12. wearing baggy pants that sit half way down the butt seen it!
13. If he notices that your mc is in a bad mood and automatically attributes it to PMS.
14. taking his gum out right before he kisses your mc. seen it!
15. laying on mc's bed with dirty/muddy shoes or any shoes for that matter. seen it!
16. farmer tan
17. constantly wearing a baseball cap and having permanent hair damage from it seen it!
18. complaining about the price of anything
19. shifting the nuts
20. the proverbial leaves the toilet seat up. I haven't seen this one, though I'm sure that someone out there would think that it'd be the perfect 'guy' thing to make their ms more authentic.
Suddenly I feel like I'm male bashing. Oh, all right, I'll post one for female crushes tomorrow.
If you can think of any that need to be added, let me know. :)
Wednesday, August 25, 2010
Posted by Angie